Begin Accepting Applications on: May 15, 2014
Applications due: September 2014
The Area Directors of the American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry (AAAP) have announced a new initiative that they hope will be of great interest. The purpose of this award is to encourage young psychiatry residents to learn about and become involved in the field of Addiction Psychiatry. To that end, the new initiative is designed to encourage qualified, interested residents who have an interest in the field of Addiction Psychiatry and have demonstrated some leadership potential to attend the Annual AAAP National Meeting in Aventura, FL on December 4-7, 2014. Following attendance at the Annual Meeting, the resident awardees are expected to organize and host an educational activity in their community related to a topic learned at AAAP Annual Meeting. One resident per geographic Area will be chosen.
Applications from qualified residents are currently being accepted. Residents must be (1) enrolled in good standing in an ACGME or ACGME equivalent psychiatric residency; (2) show some leadership potential; (3) be willing to attend AAAP’s Annual Meeting in December 2014; (4) are willing to organize and host a local educational event after attending AAAP’s Annual Meeting to disseminate information to residents, other trainees or members of the local psychiatric community and 5) who have the support of their Training Director to participate in this initiative.
Individuals who receive this regional award will be given a $1200 stipend for travel/hotel /registration to AAAP’s Annual Meeting and an additional $300 to be used for an educational initiative after the resident returns from attending the annual meeting. The requirements for the Educational Initiative include:
- The topic should be of the resident’s choice, but must be related to some content presented at AAAP’s annual meeting. The topic may be determined after the annual meeting.
- The educational activity must be described in sufficient detail (not to exceed 2 pages) to outline the program and should include goals and objectives; the proposal should be submitted to the AAAP Area Representative from your geographic area for approval prior to the actual event (see a listing of the Areas with the designated Area Representative and their contact information attached).
- Documentation of the event, including a list of participants will be required after completion of the event as well as an evaluation summary.
- The stipend is awarded to support related expenses to the educational event such as an honorarium for speaker(s), travel for speaker(s), food and other expenses related to the event. Please note that the money cannot be used to pay an honorarium for a member of AAAP or for the purchase of alcohol.
- The Resident will be able to work with the AAAP representative from your geographic Area and/or the staff from the AAAP National Office on organizing this event.
To apply for this award applicants should submit: the completed application form (see below), a CV and one letter of recommendation, to Grace@aaap.org by September 2014. The award notices will be announced by early October.
Regional Travel Award Application
Regional Travel Award Educational Objective Form
Participating Region Contact Information
Note: Due to the limited number of awards for each area, you cannot receive this award twice. Applications will not be accepted from previous Regional Travel Awardees.